Giving to Widford Parish
HOW CAN I GIVE TO WIDFORD PARISH?
Members of Widford Parish contribute to the life and work of the church in many different ways. Whilst the information below relates to financial giving, other pages on this site explain the variety of ways you can get involved and contribute to life and work of Widford Parish.
There are three ways to do this:
- By setting up a standing order with your bank – if you would like details on how to set this up, please contact the Parish Office.
- Through your employer’s payroll giving scheme ‘Give As You Earn’ (GAYE only applies if your employer runs such a scheme – your Human Resources department can provide details on this. For higher rate tax payers then please also see the section below under ‘tax efficient giving’).
OTHER WAYS TO GIVE
- A regular offering is taken at all our Sunday services. Please use the giving envelopes provided. If you need some Gift Aid envelopes, please ask a church warden for one
- If you would like to send us a cheque, please make it payable to Widford Parish PCC and send to the Parish Office at the address on our website.
- Text WIDF02 £10 to 70070 to donate £10 to Widford Parish,
TO LEAVE A LEGACY
TAX EFFICIENT GIVING
- If you pay UK tax (Income or Capital Gains Tax) and would like us to be able to claim back the basic rate tax through the government’s gift aid scheme, you will need to fill in, sign and return to us an ongoing Gift Aid declaration if you have not done so already. The benefit to Widford Parish is that we can recover the basic rate of income tax, currently 25p for each pound given at no extra cost to you. (If you pay higher rate tax, you may recover this through your own tax return.)
- Higher rate UK tax payers and payroll giving: if you pay higher or additional rate tax, you may recover this through your own tax return, alternatively, you may pass on this extra tax to Widford Parish by giving via your employer’s payroll giving scheme (Payroll Giving).
- If you are a UK higher rate (40%) or additional rate (45%) income tax payer and you give to Widford Parish directly and allow us to reclaim the basic rate tax through Gift Aid then you may recover, through your tax return, the difference between the basic rate tax that Widford Parish recovers and higher or additional rate that you have paid. Alternatively, if you give via Payroll Giving then, because you are giving “pre-tax”, you are able to pass on the full benefit of your tax to Widford Parish immediately; so if you are a higher rate taxpayer Widford Parish will receive 42p more per £1 of donation and for additional rate taxpayers, Widford Parish will receive 57p more per £1 of donation than if you give through Gift Aid. Because these donations are made “pre-tax”, Widford Parish does not have to reclaim the tax that you pay via Gift Aid, this means that you have to build in the “tax-back” element to your donation.
- For example, if you are a higher rate taxpayer and currently give Widford Parish £300 a month, Widford Parish is able to claim £75 of your tax back via Gift Aid. If you donate £500 via Payroll Giving you will receive £300 less pay each month, meaning your £500 donation will cost you the same as your current giving, but Widford Parish will receive £125 more. The same result can be achieved by you filling in a self assessment tax return and re-claiming the difference between the tax recovered via Gift Aid and the tax that you have actually paid but requires you to actually fill in a tax return and takes longer for the gift to be received.